Nasheed’s resignation - Result of coup

Mohamed Nasheed, President of Maldives says he is victim of coup which Mohamed Waheed Hassan and military deny. Nasheed said he was forced to resign with guns all around him and he was told that if he didn’t resign, military would not hesitate to use arms so, in order to avoid violence he had to step down. “I was forced to resign with guns all around me. They told me if I don’t resign, they wont hesitate to use arms”, said Nasheed.
He also said that Mohamed Waheed Hassan was involved in coup attempt as he wanted to take over the presidency and demanded immediate resignation from him.
The military denied it forced Nasheed to resign. There was no one in military who could point gun towards Nasheed, said Brigadier General Ibrahim Didi.
Though Nasheed stepped down, but he has not accepted his defeat. He said, "We will come to power again. We will never step back. I will not accept this coup and will bring justice to the Maldivian."
Arrest warrant has been issued for Nasheed on account of his claim of being ousted by a coup and violence spread in Male as thousands of his supporter swept into the streets of Male and clashed with security forces. His house is surrounded by his supporters. His family has already left Maldives for Sri Lanka.
Countries are closely watching the development in Maldives.  A UN special envoy Assistant Secretary General Oscar Fernandez-Taranco is arriving Male on Friday for talks with the new administration in the Maldives. A top Indian Foreign Office official is also flying to Male on Friday as the situation in Maldives is volatile and has not stabilized. US envoy Blake has planned his visit on Saturday.
Nasheed resigned on 7th Feb amid weeks of opposition led protests in Maldives and handed over presidency to Waheed Hassan. This was the news that first came in. His resignation followed police getting hold of State TV broadcasting facilities and broadcasting opposition calls for President Mohamed Nasheed to resign.
Crisis peaked when hundreds of policemen demonstrated in capital Male on the official order of withdrawal of protection to government and opposition supporters protesting close to each other. Protection withdrawal resulted in clash between two parties injuring three, forcing troops to fire rubber bullets at police. This was followed by clash between police and military. On Tuesday, 18 police and army men took control of military headquarters and demanded Nasheed’s resignation.
Protests began in January after Nasheed ordered military to arrest top criminal court judge who is considered to be Ex President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom’s loyal on charge of corruption and political biasness involving his order to release Government critic under Gayoom’s influence. Judge was detained by military despite Supreme Court and prosecutor order of his release. Then Vice president Hassan criticized the arrest of Judge and ordered the release of detained critic. “When it comes to the judiciary, its head is the chief justice and the rulings of the chief justice should be obeyed by all parties,” Hassan said. But he also acknowledged that he and Nasheed could still work together.
Gayoom ruled Maldives for 30 years under one party system until 2008 when Nasheed won multi party elections. Nahseed was arrested 27 times under Gayoom reign and was jailed for almost six years in all on being a political activist. Mr Nasheed is best known globally as an environmental campaigner passionate about human rights to a stable climate. He hit the global headlines three years ago when he held a cabinet meeting under water to highlight global warming and the threat to his nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment