Majuli, for nature lovers

Located amidst the river Brahmaputra in Assam, Majuli is a very large river island, which was once an integral part of the Jorhat district. Owing to floods and changed courses of the Brahmaputra, it cut off from the mainland.

Island is located at a distance of about 20 km from Jorhat town and about 200 km from Assam's capital city Guwahati. It is 90 kms long and 16 kms wide. 

  One can reach the place by ferries, which can be taken from Jorhat. Jorhat is very well connected with the major cities of India. It's airport, called Rowriah, provides direct flights to major cities of India. 




People from this thinly populated island mainly rely on agriculture, fishing, dairy, pottery, handloom and boat-making. The island is inhabited by tribal folk of the Mising tribe from Arunachal Pradesh. Other inhabitants are from the Deori and Sonowal Kacharis tribes. 



Here, we came across a sow feeding her piglet

It is clean and worth a visit for people who love nature in its original form. 

Greenery is all you see everywhere..

Days are short and people avoid outdoor activities at night fearing attack from animals. 

This is the cottage I stayed in. It is elevated so that I wake up safe next morning. On entire island, there was no concrete accommodation for tourists. These are the only best cottages on the land.






Mornings were awesome while nights were scary. My cottage was full of insects. All night, all I could hear was hum and buzzing of insects. My only friend at night was mosquito net which too had minor holes.


Looks like a postcard. Isn't it? That's the beauty of island.




You are served with simple and freshly cooked food that is prepared by tribal people who also run these guest houses. Recent reports suggest that housing has now transformed from traditional bamboo to concrete constructions.

Loved sharing my cottage with my new friends.

They loved my company as much as I did theirs. Pics are blurred, thanks to my old phone's low megapixel camera.

 They kept coming in and going out.

While we were en-route to Airport, our car got stuck in muddy water resulted from previous night rains. To my shock and surprise, this was what I sighted. It was Monday. I can't forget it ever.





A closer look...

The blogger is obsessed with self photography...

No comments:

Post a Comment